During the war years the Americans built extensive sidings at the station in order to cope w vast amount of goods and equipment they brought in to keep their large air base working stretch.
With more and more people travelling by car after the war the "Crab and Winkle" line became of the victim's of Beeching's closure policy and the last passenger train on the line left Watton station for Swaffham on the evening of 12th June 1964. About a year later the last goods train made its last journey and soon after the line was ripped up and the buildings demolished. Today the site of the railway and Tyrrell & Byford's grain and coal stores adjoining the station are now covered by units.
Ernest Fagg and the privet hedge he created between and 1952 alongside a platform at Watton Station
The author, outside The Goods Enquiry Office at Watton Railway Station in 1921.
Swaffham Grammar school Boys waiting for their train. Back row, left to right: S. Harvey, W. C
S. Steward, E. Wright, F. Yaxley, Front row:J. Barrell, — Cason, E. Riches, "Tibby" New
R. Bird. Year 1931.
previous / next